Friday, September 14, 2007

Entrepreneurial Blogs

Many businesses are now turning to blogs as a means of promotion. Realizing that this a trend on the rise, I have begun to question my original thesis as to how effective blogs really are. Sallie Goetsch, who lives in the Bay area, uses her blog, www.fileslinger.com/blog, to promote her web based business. She runs a company that assists people in backing up there computer files. In Ms. Goetche's blog she updates her customers with information about new computer based products. Ironically, Goetsch uses the same program that I currently use, Blogger.com, which allows users to post their blogs absolutely free.

Nate Whitehill also runs a web based business, http://natewhitehill.com/using-free-ebooks-to-promote-your-blog-or-business/ . Whitehill assists customers in creating blogs to promote their business. So essentially it is a blog to help other businesses learn how to blog. I found that to be quite interesting. Whitehill explains to his customers how to create a free ebook to attract new customers to their small businesses.

Is it possible to mention Bill Gates in the same sentence as small business owners? It most certainly is. The same technology small business owners use to promote their business is the same technology Gates uses to promote new computer software to the public. It should come as no surprise since Gates earned his fortune mastering computer software.

While not all blogs will be a success, blogging gives struggling businesses another outlet as a means to attract customers. Conventional outlets such as advertisements in the paper and public TV advertisements only reach a small percentage of the world's vast population. It is not far fetched to say that Ms. Goetsch or Mr. Whitehill could sell their services to somebody in China or India. The World Wide Web makes these connections possible. After finding this new evidence I would give my original thesis statement a 2. I still believe blogs have the ability to introduce fallacy, so their credibility is still suspect. After reviewing this new evidence I will change my thesis on my original blog and say, blogs will have a significant impact on the world of journalism.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2005/05/05/BUG41CGI4K50.DTL&type=business

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/operating_systems/gates_pushes_power_to_the_people_message.html

2 comments:

miguel.guzman said...

I agree with your comments at entrepreneurial blogging. It had definetly changed the way people have marketed themselves.

Anonymous said...

That's a great insight about blogs potentially having the ability to reach a global audience. It makes me think of the 'international shipping' option that Amazon Marketplace has. When I sell something through Amazon, I have a bigger pool of potential customers available to me because people in foreign countries can shop Amazon, too. Now even Amazon has a blog feature set up. I find it interesting that Amazon, a pioneer of Internet-based companies, is trying to stay current by establishing blogs. I wonder if blogs are going to follow the same path that websites took--from random and few to a requisite for any large business with an interest in staying current.