Thursday, September 27, 2007

Information Vs. Vanity Blog

I continue my pursuit to understand the world of blogging better. Today I will look at information and vanity blogs in depth. A vanity blog is written by somebody who wants to comment on events that are important in their life. An information blog is written about an area of interest to someone.

I found a very well written vanity blog by Vikki Blake, http://furious-angel.com/me/. Ms. Blake lives in England and posts comments about her daily life. Blake boasts that she has children, is married, likes to design web pages in her free time, and likes to play video games. I picked her blog for many reasons. First, Blake lives in England. This shows how far reaching the Internet is. I can read about the daily life of somebody living in England, while I sit here and type in California. Second, I chose her article because of her unique writing style. Blake swears profusely, but I found this to be interesting. Blogs are essentially free press. Blake can say what she chooses with no repercussions from an editor. The reason this is important is because blogs will change how information is censored. Bloggers don't have to worry about censorship. Blake may loose a few readers, but she may gain a few as well.

My favorite story posted by Blake occurred on September 16, 2007. She posted a story about her and her friends playing Guitar Hero. Blake's kids were gone for the evening, so her and her friends had some drinks and played Guitar Hero until 3 in the morning.

The second blog I will analyze is http://www.davesfootballblog.com/, a blog dedicated to football. Dave Warner is a football writer for AOL.com, but he also writes his own blog that is purely dedicated to the coverage of football. Not only does his blog cover "American" football, or "Gridiron", but also covers soccer, Australian Rules football, and Irish Rules football. I am a huge fan of American football, so I was easily drawn to his web sight.

Both furious-angel.com and davesfotballblog.com are great examples of what a vanity blog and information blog should be. Blake's vanity blog was well written, informative, and captured my attention. Blake posted thoughts regularly and had a great bond with her readers. Warner's football blog was also well written and informative and he too posted blogs regularly. I am a football fan through and through. I believe any football fan would love to read his blog.

I believe both of these blogs show how computer technology will have a great impact on the world of journalism. These blogs strongly support my original thesis that blogs will have a tremendous impact on the world of journalism. Sure, a vanity blog like Blake's, may not have a profound impact on society as a whole, but she may touch the lives of a few, and to me that is important. Before blogs this may not have ever occurred. Imagine Blake propositioning the NY Times to print a story about her playing Guitar Hero with her friends. They would have laughed her out of the building. Here I sit thousands of miles away enjoying her blog. I think that is a profound impact. Don't You?

4 comments:

Joy Resella said...

Bloggers don't have to worry about censorship, which I think is a great thing. Also, blogs can touch other people's lives. My mom's blog makes me cry every time I read her different posts.

Tina G. said...

It is amazing to think about how far reaching a blog can be. I felt the same way as I read entries from the vanity blog I found. It was like reading a good book.

All the Vanity said...

I am just concerned if the term "vanity blog" solely concerns on a personal blog highlighting the daily events of the blog owner.

In my case, I have a "vanity blog", on the other hand albeit this one talks about vanity in its quintessential definition when it comes to beauty & fashion.

I hope the term won't confuse others to deem my blog as a personal blog.

DANIELBLOOM said...

not just an unread vanity blog like yours;?

THON

this is NOT a vanity blog, it is an information blog, but yes, it is UNREAD...haha...i get like 2 visits per YEAR, me and my sister in Boston, so you are right nobody reads this blog of mine, so why do you even bother coming here to post your comments? you are now visitor number 3 for 2009. happy?